Monday, September 16, 2013

Wet, Wet Washington

The funkiest of the day's mushrooms. This is a melted pancake mushroom. It looks like the blob.
9-6

Last night it absolutely poured and thundered and lightninged all over the place. I thought I had a good spot but a creek flowed below me and made a puddle at my feet, so I had to sleep in the fetal position. I still slept great because of the thunder, and I was dry, but it rained so hard. The morning was still rainy and I made it a bit before it started to hail going over the first pass of the day. Dropping down into the valley I wondered: If it doesn't clear up, I might have a rough night. A little sunshine poked through so I sprawled out to get dry, and it got even sunnier. After that it turned out to be a great day, one of the best. The mushrooms at the bottom of the valley were out of Alice and Wonderland. I was in mushroom overload. Every half a second there was another funky looking mushroom. I got over the second pass with Profit and decided to stop early. I got set up and started to gather kindling to get a fire going and the rain came, so I just hopped in my dry tent and called it early. Fine by me. Right when I crawled in it began to rain a little harder. Great day, and time to feast in the tent.


1 comment:

  1. Go Dougie! Still lovin' your bog posts. Especially enjoying your commentary on mushrooms. Info about the Alice in Wonderland mushroom from wikipedia: Chapter 5 – Advice from a Caterpillar: Alice comes upon a mushroom and sitting on it is a blue Caterpillar smoking a hookah. The Caterpillar questions Alice and she admits to her current identity crisis, compounded by her inability to remember a poem. Before crawling away, the caterpillar tells Alice that one side of the mushroom will make her taller and the other side will make her shorter. She breaks off two pieces from the mushroom. One side makes her shrink smaller than ever, while another causes her neck to grow high into the trees, where a pigeon mistakes her for a serpent. With some effort, Alice brings herself back to her usual height. She stumbles upon a small estate and uses the mushroom to reach a more appropriate height.

    Here's a nice picture: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/86/bd/mushroom,3d,alice,shrooom,mushrooms,environment-86bdc5ccc26cef9fe032f37bb957a0d8_h.jpg&imgrefurl=http://vi.sualize.us/mushrooms_foresta_di_funghi_alice_in_movie_orange_mushrooms_wonderland_picture_bBvo.html&h=281&w=500&sz=55&tbnid=Td40zg4xaU8fbM:&tbnh=63&tbnw=112&zoom=1&usg=__EW_PTZoe5h7LTT30Y7cq9zwsuBo=&docid=T27_ugTOdubD_M&sa=X&ei=I284UpKWM8_figLM8IDwBg&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAg

    Sounds like we might be seeing you soon!
    xo
    Auntie Carole

    ReplyDelete