Saturday, April 20, 2013

To the '10'


4/18/13
What a day! I got to sleep in a bed last night. What a luxury! I still woke up at 5am ready to go, haha. I had some errands on morning part of today. I had a good chat with Jeff "Jefe" at the pizza place last night. He is an old timer from San Diego that had a few words of wisdom for me... So... I added some socks, 2 pair of sock liners (the inner layer with Indy toe holes), and another pair of "darn tough socks". 
His second word of wisdom was something for my boom boom. And I'll tell you my boom boom is thanking me every second. Got my farewell burger and got out on the road thinking let me just adjust myself and stick my thumb out to see if one of these nice Idywillians will give me a lift 3 miles to the trail. Before I could put my arm out, there was a car in front of me with a guy leaning out saying you look like a PCT'er that needs a life to the trail. I was clean and just came out of a burger joint at noon, so that means there's nowhere else to go but the trail. So thank you Idywild. What a great town. Did about 6 miles or so then called it quits at an amazing camp spot. Ran around climbing all the rocks that hang over the edge and got some good pics of all the funky trees. This one was my favorite. It's been through a storm or two!

April 19
Since leaving Idywild, I've done 11 trail miles. So 11 pct miles in 2 days and it's been great. Before I started I thought of the idea to take it easy the day after town since I'll have a full pack, and so I can enjoy and explore that area. For the time, I wasn't eating or sleeping while not doing my 11 miles I had no pack on and could go wherever I wanted. There is so much off the trail, especially in a nice area like this. I got to climb a bunch of boulders and stand on what felt like the edge of the mountain a few times. I also got to go to the San Jacinto Peak, which was pretty cool because I don't think I've ever been to a super high peak like that. All in all a great day of exploring and eating as much as I wanted. 

That's next (see below pics). Gotta go down then up. Taken from the peak.



April 20
I woke up super early to get down the ridge before it gets too hot. Made it down from 8000 to 2000 or so. Made it to the bottom by 1pm then took a breather and food. Did the last 6 miles through the sandy desert with Rambling Man. I think my pace was a little too fast for him. He's an old timer. But we made it to trail angels Ziggy and the Bears where we got a shower and watched the other hikers roll in and got salad and ice cream. It's hiker midnight (8pm) so I'm gonna take a nap then wake up and do some night hiking under the moon with Gregor.
Photo taken from under the '10'...

No comments:

Post a Comment