Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mile 298

4/24
Sleeping in a bed is nice! That's the most luxurious thing I get to do. A few of us were joking the other day when we pulled up to a picnic table and realized we thought of it as a luxury. Things like that. It's just a picnic table, but it's so nice to have it. Enough blabber, I slept around till 10 then walked to the burrito place for round two then filled with supplies at the general store. I didn't need much so I didn't have to go into town where there's a Safeway and Kmart. (I got a lot of my food out of the free hiker box which is hiker's food that they didn't want.) I got on the road after a long, long chat with the owner of the Nature Inn who gave me a ride back to the trail. 12 miles came easy and fast with a clean rested body and a super burrito in me. I want to do big miles tomorrow so I can hit the hot spring before the weekend when it gets too crowded. 30 percent chance of a thunder storm tonight!

San Bernadinos and San Gregorio behind Big Bear Lake. Britney Spears house might be in the mix too.





4/25
The day started off pretty bland. The first 20 miles or so were a burn area so there wasn't much scenery. I spent most of the time dreamwalking because it was just bushes and burnt trees. There was a nice creek that I got to dip in and clean up while taking 1-3pm off eating and doing whatever. I met a new older couple from Colorado. It was a quick one as I sped right past them after my lunch of instant potatoes, an avocado, and a heap of coconut oil. It's a good healthyish lunch besides for the potatoes. I then got to cross the bridge in the picture below. I don't remember if it had a name but it's at mile 298. I started to push it thinking I could make it to the hot spring by 8 or 9pm or so, but there was poision oak on the trail and I didn't want to have to dodge it at night. I climbed down the ridge to a sandy beach where I got to dive in at deep creek before it got dark. I did about 25-28 miles today.



4/26
What a day! I'll start off by getting it out of the way and saying I hate poison oak and I hope I don't have it. So, I was only about a mile and a half from the hot spring so I made it there by 7am maybe 6 and hung around till about 9. All the naked hippies were still sleeping so I got the hot tub all to myself! White, a lawyer from Georgia, got there a little after and we got to share the tub then soak my feet in the super hot small spring. I headed off and realized I was dehydrated but pushed till about 2pm because there was nowhere good to stop. I found a bush with some water jugs dropped by a trail angel and took an hour or so and kept drinking. I realized after I drank about half the bottle of lemonade flavoring that it has a lot of caffeine in it so that's why I felt so bad. I had like 6 cups of coffee after not having had caffeine for 3 weeks. I had my dinner then went on and there was my arch enemy PO all around me and it was getting dark. I didn't want to plop down because PO was all over the place so I went on into the night being very careful until there was a PO MEGA BUSH I had to go through. Found a good spot by a creek at about 10pm and washed off while shivering and freezing and doing push ups and jumping jacks. Now it's 11pm. 
4/27
I'm at McDonalds at Cajon Pass and I look like a bum. I have a rip in my pants and I'm the dirtiest and smelliest I've been yet!!!

1 comment: