Friday, July 19, 2013

California Section P and O, near Dunsmuir


Don't know what it is, but it's a big chunk of metal for being where it was.
July 15
Got going this morning along a nice ridge. It was cool and no PO while walking.  After the first water source, I met up with Just Jeff who didn't sleep too well because of a buck in our camp last night. He was up dealing with it for about an hour. Once we figured out it was a deer and not a bear, I fell right back asleep. He was cowboy camping, so it's a little more dangerous with deer around here. 

I have 2 deer stories.
First, was Robocop, who was getting charged by a buck around this area. I guess word on the street is that the bucks here are more territorial, and sometimes charge. Second, is that some hiker was cowboy camping and a deer came up and licked his face for the salt, in the middle of the night.
So, back to hiking, we did good miles to the second creek where we had a good lunch break. There's a bit of PO around this part, so all of us hikers who gathered at that water (8 of us) were sitting on the trail making a road block. The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. I did all of my miles with Just Jeff. He is a very funny guy. We did 32 miles, so not bad. I'm camped about 6 miles out of Hwy 5, and I can hear it. I'm above the PO line, so that's all that matters. I'm gonna sleep great knowing that I'm not sleeping in a PO mega bush. We saw a lot of it today and should be seeing it for the next 100-300 miles. I think this and the next section is the worst of it. On my maps, it is CA section P and O. Go figure. 

1 comment: