Sunday, July 28, 2013

Seiad Valley


Now those are some flapjacks!
July 24
Seiad Valley, CA
There was something in the camp last night. Moses said most likely pig or coyote. I got going early and heard the same noise a bear was recently making pulling apart a deadfall tree. I shouted, "Hey bear!" to let him know I was there. He ran off, so I just heard a bear, didn't see it. It was all downhill then through some PO along a creek. Then... 6 mile road walk. All PCTers complain about roads. Once we hit pavement, there's something we're not used to and it makes everything that's on the lower body hurt. Also, it's probably the most dangerous thing on the PCT, maybe second to being in a car. Well, we got to Seiad Valley and it was eating time. Godfather and Texas Grit decided to go for the pancake challenge [eat 5 pancakes and free]. I just did an amazing burger and great onion rings. It hit the spot. But they had 5 massive pancakes, and by massive I mean 3 times the size of normal Denny's pancakes. I would have struggled to get one down. It did not look fun. I got a well needed shower, laundry, and a good rest, then decided to do the climb out of town on the fuel of the burger. It got me up the hill feeling good. So, my not feeling well before was, I believe, cryptosoridum. I spelled that wrong. But I got it because I don't treat my water. The diseases you do have to watch out are from humans. So, I am very careful that I don't take water from an area that might have human feces around. If so, I would bleach or boil the water if I had to drink it. Those diseases can knock ya out. Here is what crypto whatever did to me. I would have felt kinda nauseous for 2 days, maybe three, but my medication worked great. All 'movements' were fine. My medication for the problem made it so I'm not nauseous, and I was still able to enjoy enough food. Also, I have heard giardia stories. It isn't that bad. I carry a pill, Flagyl, that knocks the issues out. No Chlorine or Florine, or whatever poison, would be in my water though. I like the thought of that. Well, enough of that. I'm camped on a ridge and there was a little sprinkle for the end of the climb. It's kinda nice since it was blazing hot today. Great day and I most likely will be taking a vacation in Oregon for a bit, starting tomorrow. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidiosis

No comments:

Post a Comment