Monday, July 15, 2013

Old Station, California

               Mt Lassen
7-10
Old Station, CA
Had a good sleep till about 7am. That seems like it's the time to wake up nowadays. The morning hike was great. I even got lost on a side trail for a mile, or so. It seemed that I was flip-floppin with all the hikers that are around. We grouped up at the last water and had a good break. Let's see if I can rattle off the new group... Iceman and Cattywompus, Gumby and DoubleIt, Whistler, Texas Grit, and the familiar Dora, and good ol' Maverick and Lodgepole. Also, a quick part of the group was Ishi, or Anish, or Odyssa. That's close to her trail name. She is trying for the speed record for thru hike of the PCT. Apparently, she is doing 40-50 miles a day and is going for the men and women's record. We all had our eye out for her, and knew that she would be flying past us at light speed. One of the gang saw her at a Trail Angel's that was camping and set up to give out food, but couldn't get many words out of her. (She was stuffing as much food as she could.) So, go fast lady hiker!!! That's awesome! And, she holds the women's record for the Appalachian trail, also. For another "For the Record," I also stuffed my face at the Trail Angel's set up! It was awesome! Thanks Legasarus and Pochahontis. I then pulled into Old Station RV Park where I had a burger, some beer, and a bit of ice cream. Today was the most I've ever stuffed myself on trail. I was hurting hungry all day. I ate so much, even for myself. The whole day I've been eating and when I had a big meal, I was immediately hungry. I knew I felt it, so at about noon I got angry and made an instant potato packet, only 500 calories or so... So, I added maybe a cup of olive oil, maybe 1500??? Calories. I chowed that down thinking, ok, I'm good for a few hours. I got hungry and ate almost all my snacks after that, like 4 brownies, 5 nature bars, and a big bag of chips and Fritos (1600 calories). So, I'm going to bed hungry, not because I didn't eat. I had a bagel with cream cheese, 4 beers, a burger, a big bowl of ice cream, and half a bag of chips. Good night. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Douglas,

    I'm writing a feature story on Anish and her record hike for Backpacker magazine and I'm hoping to speak to other thru hikers who met Anish along the trail. Sounds like you did run into her or knew people who did? Would you be up for answering a few questions for me? Deadline is asap. Please email. Thank you for your time! Megan Michelson, megan@meganmichelson.com

    ReplyDelete