Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mile 1460

Mt. Shasta, probably today was one of the closest days the PCT gets to it.
July 14

Mile 1460
 I ran into a trail crew during the morning hike and got to give them all a caramel candy that I've been carrying and handing out. That was pretty cool since it's usually us that's getting the trail magic. They were working hard and that trail was lookin nice.

I think we're about as close as we get to Shasta. I was taking lots of pictures, and doing a lot of sitting, and just looking at Shasta during breaks. What a cool mountain. It's 14,000 feet. The elevation at Mt Shasta City is probably 4000 feet, or so. The mountain just towers over everything. We thought we were done with Lassen, but it showed up when we started walking south. Also, I just hit the point of PCT where we start going around Shasta, and doing a lot of walking to the west, and even south. We walked south for a bit today, and in a bit, there's a good chunk of walking south, maybe 15-30 miles of it. Haha. Oh well. Just more exciting days on the PCT, so it's fine by me. I was kinda struggling today because my shoes are in pretty rough condition. I'm getting some in 40 miles at Hwy 5. I need them badly. My right foot got a sore on it that's hurting and making my pinkey toe swell. For some reason, my ankle got sore at about 20 miles. I'll show a picture of them when I officially retire them. There's holes all over the place and both of em need glue everyday to keep them decent. We ran into a camp of some sort, and it turned out to be a trail crew that's doing a chunk of this section...separate from the trail crew, I saw this morning. They were very nice and welcoming. I got a soda, pasta, and salad from them. I also got some good info on going to Mt Shasta. They said it would be a tough climb since it's all loose rock and there's no snow. I also got to talking with a guy that has been a frequenter of the spot on the Middle Fork of the Feather River that my family always go to, including this July 4th. He also saw the first ever PCT hiker in 1968, or 78. The frequenter was fishing and the hiker came by on the Feather River, same bridge we went over, and said he was coming from Canada going to Mexico. I forget the hiker's name, but he was 19, going south, and carrying a hundred pounds, or so.

Tough day! I was beat, but a great day! 
I fired them for talking too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment