Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sunset of Shasta and Subway Cave

                Sunset of Shasta. 
July 11
Hat Creek Rim near Burney Falls, CA
Got up to my alarm at 6am today. I was up at 4am and thinking of leaving because we have a hot 30 mile, no water stretch, and I don't have a bunch of bottles like in So Cal. I decided to go with 6am wake up and go to the diner, JJ's Cafe. I got there at about 7am. They knew I was a hiker, but they really knew when I asked, "What's a big breakfast?" I got a burrito that could have fed a couple people. JJ hooked me up!!! It was the size of a loaf of bread, but a little longer. I slowly walked out of that place feelin great, besides for my stomach hurting, the meat sweats acting up, and not being able to walk more than 100 yards without a break. I was hurting but it felt soooooo good. The Subway Cave was only a half mile, so I went there and had a peep around. It was cool, literally. It was nice and cool in there. That got the meat sweats under control. Three of us hung there for a sec, then we headed to the Hat Creek Rim stretch. Dora ate the last quarter of the party sized burrito as I was still way too full. Once I got going, and the massive burrito engine started to get going, I felt like I was gonna make it to Canada in a couple hours. We hit a lookout at pretty much the start of the rim, and Ka-pow!!! There's Shasta. It's like you can reach out and touch it. It looks so close. I've been excited about Shasta and seeing it today is amazing. I added a rule today, if I ever want to sit down and look at Shasta, then I'm gonna sit down and look at Shasta. The rim had amazing views, all the time, at the valley with Lassen to the left and Shasta to the right.  It was very exposed and hot and dry and no water though, so it kinda felt like desert. Well, unlike the desert, there's a few nice rivers and lakes tomorrow, so I'll be able to make my way to a nice siesta and a dip. Great day! Also, I'm going to bed well hydrated because someone maintains a water cache halfway through that 30 mile no water stretch. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=subway+cave+lassen&rlz=1C1RNLH_enUS529US530&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wF3lUePRMoakrQHg2YHQCQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

1 comment:

  1. That is such a great area. You brought back memories for me of when I visited Subway Cave. :)
    auntie Carole
    PS Go Dougie!

    ReplyDelete