Sunday, June 9, 2013

6/1/13 Whale Rock, Daydreaming About Food, Muir Pass


     The Whale Rock got me!!!
June 1st!!!
We knew today was going to be an easy one so we slept in. The first little bit was level and nice walking through the valley. I saw deer 5 different times. On 3 separate occasions, it was a single deer that was pretty close and 2 were groups of deer. One of them was when I was eating brunch and we stared at each other for a good 5 minutes. Every time it moved, I said, "Eh" and it went back to looking at me. After about 10-15 miles, we got to where the snow was pretty thick before Muir Pass, so we stopped at about 3pm. Muir Pass has to be done in the morning. There's a bit of snow leading up to it, and after the pass there is a very gradual walk down snow for a long time, miles maybe, so we have to wait till morning so we don't post hole every step. We're at a nice lake where we got lazy for the afternoon. I have been hurting for a good meal since I didn't have a stove through the Sierras. My alcohol stove took too long so I ditched it and will get a good fast boiling stove soon. Also, I only had instant potatoes for dinner (cold). I learned my mistake; mix it up. The potatoes are good but not every night. Dora gave me a rice and bean mix that she got from Horse and it made me so happy. It was so good and filling. I'm still hungry but I'm always hungry now. My appetite has grown in the Sierras. I can't get full. Lunch today was an 800 calorie bag of Fritos, a tuna packet, and an instant potatoes pack, and I was ready for more when I finished. Also, the mix I got was good and a very large homemade portion. I'm grateful for it, but it's 30 minutes later and I'm hungry again. Most of my daydreaming now is about food.


No comments:

Post a Comment