Monday, June 10, 2013

Muir Hut at Muir Pass


              Muir Hut at Muir Pass
6-2
I forgot I did Muir Pass this morning until I scrolled through my pictures. We got going at 5:30 straight into the snow. There were a few frozen lakes and an uphill climb to Muir Hut on the pass. We didn't take much time because the sun was shining and every second postholing became more likely. This is also where postholing is no joke because there were many times where we were walking over snow and you can hear water beneath you. That's such a helpless feeling. So, it was quick off the pass, all in all about 5-6 miles of walking on snow with a little bit of rock walking mixed in. After that we did a few more miles to the first big creek ford. I was by myself and took the alternate through the meadow that's suppose to be less water force but a longer distance. I got there and my nerves calmed, took off my shoes and socks, and happily got in no more than knee deep across nice sand and cool water on a hot day. It felt great. The low snow year is great for fords too. Bear Creek is up tomorrow. After that came the great view of the valley and waterfalls. The mountains are more rounded now, beginning to look more like Yosemite type mountains. We called it on the earlier side since it was a long day. Also, that's the last of the big passes!


No comments:

Post a Comment