Thursday, June 6, 2013

iChat between Greg and Doug, or a Pacman Blurb

                  Our Pacman
6/6
We got to Mt. Whitney and word on the street is she is not too rough. So, we head up from the lake area for 5 miles (3000-4000 foot climb or so). For the first part, going up was amazing, 3 miles up, switchbacks, and I was feeling good. At the last 2 miles is where the trail meets up with the people who pay to do Whitney (east side). So, I initially, was like, "I'm gonna crush Whitney." Then, I hit the intersection and saw a couple. The guy was sitting with his hands over his head in full Everest mountain climbing gear: jacket, huge pants, boots, ice axe, crampons, face cover... all that stuff. He peeks over and I'm like, "Hey man, what's up?" I'm wearing my shirt with sleeves rolled up & buttoned down half way with my chest and a little stomach hanging out, no gloves, shorts... that type. He looks at me and glares like who the "heck" is this guy. Then, he mumbles something to his girlfriend in a rude way, who is kneeling down, fumbling with something. She is trying to open a ziplock bag... with her super duper snow gloves on. To myself, I said, "Struggl-inggggggg!" And I knew I was gonna see more people struggling because they came from sea level and are just not in shape. So, I do the last 2 miles in 35 mins and get to the top. The people at the top are talking about how sick they feel and that they are gonna barf while I'm running around taking pics from edge to edge.  Then, I whip out my salami log and cheese block and devour it while trying to start conversation. None of 'em are having it. There was another PCT group behind me that told me later, "I asked one how much further to the top?" The guy was like, "About 4 hours from here. I'd turn back if I were you, it's getting late…" He said he did it in 20 mins! The best part is there is a guy named Slim. He is about 300 pounds, wears an Hawaiian shirt, didn't even bring a jacket into the Sierras, and is a fast hiker. I would have paid to see those people's expressions when a 300 pound man in a Hawaiian shirt flew past them!

No comments:

Post a Comment