Friday, June 7, 2013

Close to Mile 800, Rae Lakes, Glen Pass, Grizzlying

   The north side of Glen Pass is the very snowy part on the right side (top middle right). The lake is Rae lakes. 
5-29
Sorry. I don't keep good track of what mile I'm at. It's just something I don't keep track of. I'm close to 800 though.
We slept on the trail last night and woke up to Maverick, his dad Lodgepole, and Opa walking over us very early. It woke me up so I went with it, and left into the bad looking weather without my jacket. Spitfire wears it to sleep because he gets cold. I sleep very hot. I used to just sleep before the trip but now that my metabolism is a bit higher, I sleep like a furnace and usually have my bag unzipped, sometime even on the freezing nights. Spitfire always makes sure to give it to me, but for some reason I said no I don't want it. My mistake. So, I walked for about 15 minutes and it started snowing. I was fine but figured I'd wait for him. When I got to the top of Kearsarge Pass, it was a full on whiteout snowstorm with wind howling. It was a lot of fun when all the hikers got to safety. We all talked about how much fun it was. We're crazy! We took a nap till it cleared then went over Glen Pass (11,798). Glen is another one of the big passes (~12,000 feet), and the north side is dangerous because it's steep. I started the steep snow covered north side and post holed a few times while making sure my focus was on not slipping and having a fall, because a fall on that slope could be very bad news. Once I got over that I saw a long route with no snow that could get me to safety, so I rock hopped and boulder climbed to the bottom where I rewarded myself by pigging out. I kinda lost control and ate a lot lot, like a lot lot even for me. The group got down safe and we had a nice walk through another paradise. The Rae lakes are amazing. It's a bigger than normal lake for 10000+ feet and it is amazing. It's another thing that's hard to explain how amazing it is. A lake with many small islands, anything but round, it is all over the place, and towering mountains all around with creeks gushing snowmelt into it all over the place. It was a great 3 mile 3 hour walk to our campsite. We took our time. Another long post for another great exciting day in the Sierras. It seems like not just every day I have gets better than the previous, but every moment gets better! Life is good! Also the Sierra family got smaller. Now, it's just Spitfire, Dora, and me sticking together. We should be seeing lot of Maverick and his dad Lodgepole, too, as they go our pace. Crumbs and Horse are trying to get to VVR in 5 days and we are taking our time and have 7-8 days of food. Marie left to go to DC for a wedding for a week off the trail. We kept joking that it's an AYCE (all you can eat) wedding!

Lots of good pictures today. The Kearsarge Pass whiteout, the steep slope of Glen Pass with Maverick off in the distance, me bear-grizzlying some water (getting into a pushup position and drinking straight out of the stream with my mouth), and the path going right along the lake. Here are a few.
Pacman Grizzling
Rae Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment