Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Bishop Pass, Devils Postpile, and Great Weekend with my Friends

                          Calvin and Moe in action on the Devils Postpile

Weekend of 6-9
First of all, thanks Moe, Calvin, and Kingsley (Calvin's dog) for coming out. I had a great weekend. They got to Mammoth Friday evening and we drove up to Bishop to get a nice spot for the night. We had an early wake up and 13 mile round trip up to Bishop Pass (~12,000 feet). They muled the day supplies, so I had 0 pounds on my back. Moe and the dog got a little tired from the elevation and midday heat, but I think all of us (Kingsley included) thought that was the best hike we have ever been on. We did some exploring around the top of the pass, and we can't forget the nice siesta. At one point there was a mosquito bush where if we would have stopped there would have been 100-???? mosquitos on us. We all ate a few on the way through. After the rough day, we took a drive to a hot spring at 5000 feet and had a good soak and some beers. The next day we went back to the PCT and went to Devils Postpile and a waterfall. After the hike we decided we better go to another hot spring. After that we ate some good food. Not much to complain about for the weekend. It was a great weekend off and on the trail for me, and I'm sure it was for the guys, too. I'm glad they got to see the Sierras, and now they know what the Sierras mean. And, last but not least, it was a quick goodbye because they dropped me off in a mosquito bush, so it was off to the races for me and back in the car for them.

 
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/recarea/?recid=20358&actid=50 Bishop Pass
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm Devils Postpile

No comments:

Post a Comment