Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mile 860ish, Halfway Point...of California!, and Selden Pass


      The lakes before Selden Pass, loaded with fish. 
6-3
Mile 860ish
Today marks the halfway point... Of California! Started off the day by getting lost at from about 8 to 9:30. I was sitting waiting for Spitfire for about an hour, so not that bad. He didn't come because I was on the wrong trail.  Did some climbing over Selden Pass (11,000 feet or so) and saw a spot where if I had a helper, I could have reeled in enough fish to feed a group of hikers. They were big in this lake, too. Took a siesta at the top of the pass, then headed to the Bear Creek Ford. It looked kinda rough, so I did it with my shoes on. I'm glad too because I found out later that Spitfire fell in, twice! I missed watching them ford it because I got across, covered up because we're in mosquito country now, and it started to rain and hail. So when it rains my options are hike, or get in the tent, so I hiked on. A JMT hiker passed and didn't want to strike up a conversation because I had all my stuff on, which happens to be all black, and I had my mosquito net over my head. I look like the grim reaper. They keep saying how funny it would be if I held Dora's silver, very sharp and very dangerous looking ice axe at all times. JMT hikers would definitely give me right of way on the trail then. The rain let up and mosquitos came back out. When you stop there about 3-10 hovering, or on you. Mosquito bites don't bother me though, they go away after about 2 minutes. Also, the only area usually exposed is my ankle to knee area and that part of my body is so tough now. The other day I had a decent size gash with blood all over the place, and I didn't even notice it. When someone told me about it, I still couldn't feel anything. My legs are just dead skin, cuts, and also very tan. So mosquito bites on my legs don't bother me one bit. Set up camp and had a nice fire to dry off. 8 miles to VVR tomorrow!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment