Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mile 454, Vasquez Rocks and Hiker Haven


5-5-2013
Mile 454

I'm at Hiker Haven!!! Oh thanks mom and Greg again for visiting and taking me off the trail for a couple days. I got a great breakfast cooked by mom then went on my way. Since I got a new pair of shoes, I took it slow and checked my feet a lot as I only had 10 miles to do because I don't want any new blisters. The 2 miles of hiking through Vasquez Rocks was great. It might be my favorite little stretch so far. The rock formations were crazy. I got to the Saufley's (Hiker Haven, Agua Dulce) and got a shower even though I didn't stink too much. Then we all had tacos and beer as it is Cinco de Mayo!!!



Cinco de Mayo
Taco time! From left to right Stacks or Snacks, Spitfire, DOAF, Accent, and Wildflower. Not shown are Waterboy and his wife, who are helping out at Hiker Haven because in a couple weeks when the hiker rush comes through there's 10-50 people here every night. Also not pictured are Donna and Jeff Saufley who were at a friend's house. 
                        Ruins at Vasquez Rocks
5-6 
Today I took a zero!!! There was a something percent chance of showers and thunderstorms so I and a few hikers stayed inside. There were about 10-15 people there all day. A few brave people took off and a lot came in from the cold and rain. I pretty much just helped out with a few things being set up and sat around chatting and finding out info about the Sierras. I got that whole section planned out so that's a plus. There was a lot of experienced hikers there that helped out a lot with that.
[Tune in tomorrow for my hiker name!!!]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks
http://www.hikerheaven.com/

2 comments:

  1. Doug, been loving reading your blogs! One month down and an amazing number of miles -you're an inspiration dude!! Walk On!!!
    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 500 miles - wow! Makes me think of the song by Peter, Paul, and Mary.

    ReplyDelete