Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pacman's Gear Report


During my 3 hour siesta break today I went through everything I have (not food). I'll explain the things that are not obvious and why I have them. 

Sleeping bag- about 2 lbs, down fill
Tent- about 2 lbs and very small. I've only used it less than half the time because it's a lot easier to cowboy camp
Backpack- 5lbs, 70 liters. But I will be getting a 2 lb one the next time my parents come out because I just ordered it. Same size just 3 lbs lighter and only 100$. Comes with rain cover. 
Sleeping pad- z rest foam

Water...
2 liter water bladder with hose for sipping, 2 liter 7 up bottle, 1 liter powerade bottle (0-3 liters depending on how the water is in that section)

Headlamp
Credit card, ID, cash
Spoon
Chapstick
2 mini lighters
Compass with mirror
Vagasil, haha- for chafing, that was the worst complaint for my first 100 miles and an old timer guy lent me a swipe and I've been hooked ever since, and no chafing ever since. I'm a proud supporter of Vagasil. 
Big blue trash bag- for when it's damp, or raining. All my stuff fits in it while I sleep. 
TP
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Aquamira bleach- for treating water. It's 2- 2 oz bottles that last a very long time.
2 liter pot with pan/lid
Stove- It's a homemade penny soda can stove. Too hard to explain but my dad and I made it. Google it if your interested. Stove, pot holder, and windscreen, and it weighs maybe an ounce! You put denatured alcohol in. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove
Hiker poles
Sunglasses 
Ipod touch w/ charger and 2 charge battery backup
Cell phone w/ no charger- It's a small dumbphone, so it lasts.
Toenail clippers
Razorblade
Benadryl
Fire permit and PCT permit

Clothes...
Always wearing...
Shoes
Sock liners with individual toe holes (2pairs) 
Wool ankle hiking socks (2 pairs) w/ pins to pin on my pack to dry while I hike
Dirty Girl Gaiters- to keep dirt out of my shoes
Under armor underwear
Basketball style shorts with pockets
Hiking shirt
Hat

In the clothes bag...
Jacket- good for rain, wind, and warmth.
Rain pants
Gloves- baseball batting gloves
3 bandannas- one for food, one dirty and one clean that goes around my neck while I hike. 
Mosquito head net 
Mesh bag for food
A few ziplock bags for a few different things

I didn't leave off anything. Nothing. Not a pin or needle. I'm always thinking of what I can get rid of. I added a few things the first 300 miles because of inexperience, but now all I think of is: Do I really need that? 
Things I've dropped- I might leave off a thing or two as it's not in front of me
Ground tarp- I added it then dropped it. 
Duct tape
Floss- There's natural floss everywhere!!!
Ibuprofen- If I break a bone or something, ibuprofen isn't gonna save my life. And it's bad for you. A lot of hikers are addicted to it. 
Moleskin
Knife (lost along the way, so razorblade is used.)
Sunscreen- Just cover up your body during peak hours. 
Soap- It gets you 100% clean then you get 100% dirty after an hour of hiking. Water is good enough. And all hotels/ hiker houses supply soap.
A few other things for keeping clean- I'm a hiker, I'm always dirty!
Sleeping socks
Warm undershirt
Underwear- gross!!! I only have 1 pair!!!
Small towel

No comments:

Post a Comment