Friday, May 31, 2013

Forester Pass, Elevation 13,200 Feet

                Forester Pass
(I guess I have bad luck at getting full photos at the tourist picture places.)
5-26
Today was amazing! One of the best days of my life. It started with an early wake up and about 10 miles to a creek where I waited for the group while eating. We got going and Marie (Early Girl) and I got going at about the same pace. When we pulled up to Forester Pass, the other guys were already headed up. Spitfire and Dora were a bit behind us, so we waited for them and decided to split up since our pace is different and it's pretty intense up there. So Marie and I stuck together for the entire pass. The other group stayed together. We got to climbing and could see the snow at the skinny pass. Making it over the rumored 6 foot ice wall was nice since it was only about 3 feet. Nice and easy. The back side was very snowy and we knew this was going to be the tough part. We made our way down the soft snow and post holed a few times. Post holing is when your foot falls through the snow and is like a post hole!!! That happens after about 1pm since the snow is softer. It was worth it since if we would have hit it earlier, it would have been icy, and I don't have crampons so that's dangerous. So I'd say we got there at a decent time, could have been a little earlier. We did about a mile over mostly snow and a few patches of rocks. You feel very vulnerable walking over snow since you don't know what's under you, and the slope was pretty steep so you have to make sure your foot has a good grip. I was giving full attention to every step and to the person I was hiking with. It was tough but we got to the trail and made the rest of the way doing whatever we could to avoid the snow, even if it was going way off trail. When all the danger was out of the way, we let out a sigh of relief and entered paradise. I have no way of explaining the 7 or so miles after Forester Pass besides paradise. I was smiling for about the 3 hours of walking and my cheeks were sore, and so was the rest of my body. It was a tough day and also a day I will never forget. I had to get deep with my thoughts for a bit since today brought out so much of my inner soul. It was one of the mentally toughest days followed by entering a place that has such beauty. Now I am camped in the best spot I have ever fallen asleep in my life. Surrounded by towering mountains and waterfalls off in the distance. I know this was a long one but the day deserved it. Also, thank you Marie for being a part of this day with me, I couldn't have done it without you.

   Below photoForester Pass from the south side, the side we entered. And yes, it's where the snow is.

No comments:

Post a Comment