Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mile 722, Onward to Mt. Whitney

               Kern River. The bridge is where I siesta'd.
5-22
Mile 722
I had to say bye to Kennedy Meadows this morning. Tom was great. He goes out of his way so much to help make hikers happy. He is a great trail angel and a great person. 7 of us left as a group and only 6 made it past a mile. One of the young dogs followed us and Spitfire and I had the job of putting it down, I mean not letting it go on the trail haha. The hiking was good and I got to a river at about 1pm with Opa. He is a 73 year old that still moves fast. He grew up doing mountaineering and skiing on mountains that seem pretty dangerous. Also, he has done most all of the 260 or 270 highest peaks and summits of the Sierras, plus 30 extra for a few bonus ones. Whitney is the tallest but one of the easier ones. He has an amazing amount of knowledge and stories about his early life doing all that. Well, I took a good long siesta at the river with the group, then did about 8 more miles to make it 6 miles of PCT. (I got lost.) It's funny though, whenever I'm lost I usually figure out I'm lost and everything becomes even more clear and peaceful. I really enjoy those moments. I found half the group camped and I came in from the wrong way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment